NRECA is the national service organization that represents America’s electric cooperatives, NRECA works to empower electric cooperatives and to help ensure their long-term success in a number of ways:
- Amplifying the voice of America’s electric cooperatives and their consumer-members in Washington, D.C.
- Working with elected officials to keep electricity safe, reliable and affordable.
- Helping the employees of electric cooperatives learn and grow professionally.
- Promoting the cooperative business model and the benefits of co-op membership.
- Researching and communicating with NRECA voting members regarding legal tax, environmental and other issues.
- Spearheading programs to strengthen co-ops and their communities, such as advocacy campaigns and workforce development initiatives.
The Youth Tour program is coordinated by the Grassroots Advocacy team of NRECA’s Government Relations Department. The message that NRECA conveys is that political and civic involvement continue to be at the core of electric cooperatives. Explaining the history of electric cooperatives and the values they represent is important as this next generation of leaders takes hold and follows their dreams—whether in a classroom, on a farm, at their local cooperative or in the halls of Congress.
Interested in Learning More?